When I originally wrote about one of the best value propositions for domestic travel 3 months ago, a lot of people asked me if it was really “that easy”.
Well I’m happy to report back that it’s officially that easy!
As you can see, Joann’s Rapid Rewards account has now earned a Companion Pass.
Now, whenever she books a flight, her companion (that’s me!) can come along for free! OK fine, I have to pay that stupid $5-10 September 11th fee .
It doesn’t matter if she pays for the flight or redeems points. If there is a seat for sale, your companion can come along.
I can’t really think of anything better for domestic travel for two… especially considering how easy it was to achieve the Companion Pass.
- Joann applied for both a Chase Southwest personal and business card.
- Each card offered a 50,000 point bonus after spending $1,000 in 3 months.
- She completed $1,000 spending goal for each card.
- With a 50,000 point bonus for each card, she now had 102,000 of the 110,000 points needed.
- To achieve the last 8,000 points needed, we spent about $3000 on the credit cards & we also transferred some Chase Ultimate Rewards points to her Hyatt account, then to her Southwest Rapid Rewards account.
- It took about 10,000 Hyatt points to convert into 4,800 Southwest points
- We didn’t go out of our way to do unnecessary spending. We just used the Southwest cards for bills and normal monthly expenses.
- That put her just over the top with 110,029 points!
Currently, the offers I wrote about last time are dead, but they’ve come back before and hopefully they’ll come back again.
With some careful planning and lucrative credit card offers, we’ll now have a chance to travel together as much as we want at a heavy discount until the end of 2013!