AmEx customer service ranks #1 in my opinion. Last night, they hooked up Joann’s account with 75,000 points and 2 years no annual fee ($350 savings)! How this came about is semi-complicated to explain but overall it was a pain free process.
- I applied Joann for the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card targeted to Columbia MBA grads that was accidentally leaked to the public. The offer was 50,000 points after $500 spend and no annual fee for 2 years.
- After activating the card, I sent a Secure Message to AmEx basically confirming that I was indeed enrolled under this particular promo.
- They replied and said that I wasn’t. I was instead enrolled for a measly 10,000 bonus points and no fee for 1 year. However, as a courtesy, they would honor the promo.
- After spending the $500 and having the initial 10k points post, I sent another Secure Message to AmEx. NOTE: In the meantime, an offer surfaced for 75,000 points and no fee for 1 year; this was for the regular Gold Card.
- I politely requested to be matched to the 75k bonus offer. This was a long shot because this offer wasn’t even for the same card!
- Here is the prompt reply from AmEx:
SCORE!! This is the second time AmEx has matched a better offer – they matched a 100k promo on my Platinum card. I think it’s a real testament to AmEx’s mission to please their customers. Just goes to show that you never know what you can get unless you ask! The worst they can say is no.
If you’re wondering what we’re going to do with these points, most likely we’ll be transferring them to British Airways using their 50% bonus promo and COMPLETE our goal of 300,000 household points. Our trip to Asia in CX First Class is all but booked!