The same offer from May 2013 is now back for the Barclays Lufthansa Premier Miles & More World MasterCard credit card. I applied for and was approved for this card and earned 55K miles in the process (50K bonus + $5K in spend).
The terms of the deal this time around are the same:
- Earn 20,000 award miles with your first purchase or balance transfer
- Earn an additional 30,000 award miles when you spend $5,000 in purchases within the first 90 days after account opening
- Earn 2 award miles per $1 spent on Miles & More integrated airline partner ticket purchases
- No foreign transactions fees on purchases made outside the U.S.
- $79 Annual Fee waived for Senator and HON Circle Members
There are several ways to use these miles. Daraius at Million Mile Secrets has a great write on 18 uses for Lufthansa Miles.
My favorite way to redeem is 17K miles for a one-way First Class award in the US. For most US carriers, this would normally cost 25K miles!
Really, the key to avoid the high fuel surcharges is to redeem for flights on US carriers, and fellow Star Alliance members, United Airlines & US Airways.
Here is the link to the Miles & More award chart so you can see what the redemption costs look like.
Disclosure: This is actually a credit card link that I DO get a referral bonus on. If you choose to use it, I appreciate the support!