Happy new year to Hawaiian Airlines & Barclaycard! Thanks to lapointsguy on this Flyer Talk thread for pointing out some brand new Hawaiian Airlines credit card offers.
- 35,000 miles when you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days.
- Earn 2X miles on direct purchases from Hawaiian Airlines
- Earn 1X miles on all other purchases
- Discounted award travel
- ShareMiles allows you to receive HawaiianMiles from family and friends online
- No foreign transaction fees
- 50% off companion coach full fare between Hawaii & North America
- Complimentary checked bag on Hawaiian Airlines
- $100 companion discount every card anniversary
- 5,000 bonus miles every year you spend $10,000 or more
- $89 annual fee
Note, there is also a Business version of this card. The main differences are as follows:
- 35,000 bonus miles with first purchase
- You’ll earn 20,000 bonus miles on your account anniversary with $50K-$99K in annual spend, or 40,000 bonus miles with $100K or more in annual spend.
I’ve bolded what I consider the most important benefits of the card. The signup mileage bonus, anniversary bonus when hitting $10K spend, and no foreign transaction fees are self-explanatory and great.
Also, from the picture above, it seems to be an EMV-enabled card which will be very handy for Europe and other destinations. No word on if it’s the better Chip & PIN or the Chip & Signature like the recent Chase Sapphire Preferred.
I’m more interested in the less obvious benefits.
Discounted Flight Awards
From the Terms & Conditions, they don’t make it very clear:
- You are eligible to receive a discount on flight awards for travel on Hawaiian Airlines
- Discounted flight awards are only accessible through the Primary Cardmember’s HawaiianMiles account online at HawaiianAirlines.com.
I’ll update this post once further clarification is made, but any discount on award travel is always welcome.
This is perhaps the most intriguing part of these new HA credit cards. Here are the terms listed under ShareMiles in the T&C:
- You must have a current email address on file within your HawaiianMiles account to receive Miles transferred with the ShareMiles program.
- Hawaiian Airlines MasterCard Cardmembers may receive miles transferred from friends and family up to a maximum of ten (10) times per calendar year.
- The Miles transferer must be a current HawaiianMiles account holder and may perform an unlimited amount of transfer transactions using the ShareMiles program.
- There are no transaction fees for Miles transfers, no charges per mile, or no minimum or maximum number of Miles transferred for cardmembers.
- Full terms and conditions for the sharing of HawaiianMiles are available at HawaiianAirlines.com/HawaiianMiles/terms-and-conditions/.
From what I’ve made bold above, the primary Hawaiian Airlines MasterCard cardmember can effectively be a free pool for all “friends & family.” HA has not yet clarified what they will consider friends & family.
This is obviously limited to 10 transfers a year but consider this example:
Your family of four takes a yearly trip to Hawaii from New York. That’s about 10K miles earned from flying for each family member.
If you are the cardmember, the other three can transfer their 10K miles to you. You (and your family) now have 40K miles in your one account instead of 10K miles spread across four accounts.
According to the HA award chart, 40K is enough for a round trip coach award between North America and Hawaii.
Essentially, your initial family trip just earned one free flight. You now only have to buy three tickets the next time you fly to Hawaii!
I think that’s an amazing perk and it’s really drawing me to the card.
In fact, Joann and I might apply for both the personal & business versions of this card on our next round of credit card applications. That would really bump up our balances, combining to over 140,000 Hawaiian Airlines miles!